Saturday, October 22, 2011

Introducing All About Movies

The title says it all. This blog is just about movies, for movie lovers everywhere. Movie reviews of new movies and old movies. Academy Awards buzz, my favorite movies, my favorite movies of the year etc... To conclude this post, I want you to know my taste of movies to see if your taste matches mine by stating my favorite movies.

2001: A Space Odyssey

This movie is like no other sci-fi film. Usually sci-fi films have no point, yeah they're entertaining but as David Fincher said, "I don't know how much movies should entertain. To me, I'm always interested in movies that scar." 2001: A Space Odyssey is very disturbing, and it made a scar on me and it was extremely entertaining, that right there is a perfect movie in my opinion. 

Full Metal Jacket
Now as you can see by now I like Stanley Kubrick. However in this movie Kubrick mix humor with being a very disturbing movie. For instance the scene where everyone in the Army bunk beat Pvt. Pyles with soap. That was one of the most disturbing things I've ever seen in a movie. As for the humorous parts of the movie, "This is my rifle, this is my gun" and other various things throughout the movie. Now this may sound ridiculous, but this movie made me feel good while watching it, there was no parts where I looked at the clock thinking, "Oh there's only half an hour left". It flowed very well. 

The Social Network
This movie strayed hugely from David Finchers other work such as Fight Club, Se7en, The Curious Case of Benjamin Button etc... It was a fantastic movie the way they synced the great soundtrack with such a simple thing as solving a math equations on a clear board. Or when Fincher had camera shots of just a computer screen with the music, those shots we're absolutely fantastic and in some way revolutionary we're seeing in movies now such as baseball statistics on a computer in Moneyball. This is also another movie that just flowed perfectly.

Goodfellas

Now I have to add a Scorsese film in here, I am a die hard Scorsese fan. I'm not quite sure why considering he does a lot of the same stuff such as mobs etc... but he seems to be straying away from that recently. Now the Goodfellas is a fun mob movie, yes it is unsettling at some times so don't get me wrong when I say "fun". I mean fun as in not too heavy such as The Godfather, I have tried watching the Godfather once, but it is very, very heavy and in my opinion didn't have such good flow. The cast of Goodfellas was fantastic, some of the best stars that played mobsters Ray Liotta, Joe Pesci (the comic relief but also quite disturbing), and of course... DeNiro. 

4 comments:

  1. Nice. Look forward to reading more. I can't seem to get my hands on 2001. Been dying to watch it forever!

    ----
    all-that-we-love.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. You should try getting it on Amazon, or the library or something. It really is a great movie.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm in India. And Amazon's not here yet :(

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Foley, good post. Pretty rebelious for a movie critic to badmouth The Godfather. I love 2001 also, but it is very difficult to understand without reading the book, though (Kubrick and Arthur C. Clake sat down an wrote the movie's script together. Clarke wrote the book and Kubrick directed the movie.)

    ReplyDelete